Saturday, October 11, 2008

Artists and Creativity, how it can work together and still make a living

♦You see I am completely and sometimes painfully aware that a good business person in any creative field, including music, that wants to make a good living at; must always be willing to put their 'special' creative piece or pieces out for free or charity or aid/donation; leaving the remaining 80-90% of their creative work being that which others want to purchase, have, or even dance to. No artist makes a living by having their pieces in museums, though they may become famous or even notorious. Until they are completely famous, their income comes from things others pay money for. That may include paper stock (cards, pads, memos, prints) of original works rather than the original work itself, which was probably the main reason for its creation in the first place.
Having typed that, please know that since I am a Master Stylist in a hair salon, but because of my home lifestyle with Sarahbushka and my family, I am unable to join in the fun with our performance at our Annual Hair Show that we showcase every Fall to the public. I have not been able to do this for the second year now, which really hurts, because this is, in particular, a great avenue of creative expression 'ON' the human body, and being worn with movement engaged.

I have enjoyed every single year (6th, this year) because our proverbial creative doors are thrown wide open for this event. All proceeds are donated to our local Relief Nursery for underpriviledged kids and such. We usually have a theme and other than that, we are free to 'be.' And clients love that! ...as long as they can come in see it, not necessarily wear it. It has become a rather popular event here in this town of 120K.


These images are from 2006 our Midsummer Night's Dream.
One of the things I can do for my part is to donate my jewelry for the raffles. Last year I donated 2 pieces and colleagues told me that the jars that were below my jewelry had far more tickets than any other jars, except for the Biggie gift raffle. So that is good.
Watch for the pieces to come filtering through this blog.
~And I am still preparing the "How-To ~ 'Seeing Stars'" All images are complete, but I still need to input the words.
Slan go foil
CbClay

No comments: